Note: Originally posted October, 2011. September 27, 2018: Display of belligerance and arrogance demonstrated by Judiciary Committee and Kavanaugh make Grover look like a choirboy. ###
I heard a song on the radio called “My Give a Damn’s Busted.” It reminded me of congress attitude toward their constituents.
They apparently have decided to sign the Grover Norquist pledge while ignoring their electorate. I watched Grover on U-Tube compete in the 2009 “Funniest Celebrity in Washington” contest. He wasn’t talented or funny. We should all be relieved to know that’s where congress support lies.
Congress sent billions in taxpayer money to bail out Wall Street firms. While the rest of us sucked wind from financial losses, there is no law against them profiting from stock trades by using information that is unavailable to the public.
The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act, is designed to close this loophole for members of Congress. However, despite being introduced three times it has yet to be presented for a vote.
I have a few suggestions that might get congress attention and encourage them to clean up their act.
1. They should have the same healthcare plan most Americans have.
2. They should pay for all of their perks.
3. Withhold their salaries until they can agree to act like businessmen. Most of them would have been fired if they were working in the private sector.
4. Issue job performance reviews to establish salaries and make them available to voters.
5. Publish individual voting records on major issues in a format such as the weekly TV guide.
6. No holidays permitted while there are pending issues requiring a vote. Consider it unpaid overtime.
7. No unrelated or last minute amendments allowed on any bill prior to the vote.
8. There should be a pop quiz on each bill prior to calling for a vote and the results made public.
9. All unused campaign funds are forfeited when leaving office.
10. Eliminate the ability of any individual member of congress to hold an issue hostage.
Come election time, congress better depend on votes from Norquist’ groupies because “My Give a Damn’s Busted.”